View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
Shortly after reaching the Ocoee river on 64, I took a left on 30. This is a nice twisty back road and today I didn't have any slow moving cages impeding me from having a little fun

At reliance I took a right on 315 but turned right again as soon as I crossed the Hiawassee river. This led me down some nice and twisty back roads. Most riders use 68 to get to Tellico plains from the south and some use 30 to 315 to 39. These are both great ride but I doubt that many even realize there are a bunch of back roads in between these two. These roads are not even shown on most maps. Although I was introduced to this area on a KLR rally recently, I really didn't know where I was going so I just winged it. I ended up on Some dirt/gravel roads for about 20 minutes or so but eventually came out on 68 which I followed to Tellico Plains. Of course no real adventure rider can pass through Tellico Plains without stopping here:

I barely removed my helmet when someone came up and said "you're klaviator and are on a trip" It was an inmate who had read my post asking for route suggestions. I have a bad case of CRS so I don't remember his name but hopefully it will come to me. Anyway, it goes to show that if you spend enough time on this forum, anyone can become famous. We had both bought bikes from Rider's Hill in Dahlonega, Ga. I bought my Sport City there and he had gone there looking for a sport city but ended up on a Scarabeo 500. Shortly afterwards he decided to go bigger and got a Mana 850 which he was riding to day.

The owner of TMO, Minimike is a member of this forum and does a lot to support off road riding in this area. I like to support his business but there was nothing I needed from him today so I did the next best thing by going across the street and having lunch at the creamery which is owned by his wife.

My original plan was to make it to Deal's Gap and camp there. I wasn't really interested in riding through Deal's Gap on a busy summer Saturday but it is a nice place to camp. However, it looked like I would get there before 2 and that was too early to stop so I cahnged my plan and decided to go to Blue Ridge Cycle camp

Then I headed over the Cherohalla Skyway. Here's my bike at one of the many places to pull off:

After the Skyway I took 143 to Robbinsville then 129 to 19 to Wayah Rd where I stopped for a break at the Natonal Forest parking lot for rafters at the intersection of 19 and Wahay rd.

These people looked like the were having fun:

Then it was down Wayah Rd which was a blast as always despite some gravel in some of the corners.

I've seen this before but this time I took the time to stop and get a picture:

When I got to Franklin I noticed something was missing:

This used to be the Franklin Motel. Now it's just a grass lot. It was popular with bikers but I reserved a room there last year but ended up staying elsewhere becuase the room was unnaceptable.

then I decided to take the shortest way to Blue ridge Cycle camp. There are some fantastic twisties in this area but I was getting tired so I just took the quickest route.....I guess I'm getting old. I pulled in to Blue ridge Cycle camp around 5 PM having ridden 356 miles.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 04:32 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote