View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #61
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,612
Wednesday 6/27/12

What a beautiful day! So out I went in search of some Smoky Mountain Dirt. I leisurely left home around 10 am and got on the big Aye Fourdy and here is a look at Buzzard's roost where you saw my ride bud sitting ( "back yard shot") earlier in this thread in frame #5. Look above the tunnels, this photo does not do the elevation difference justice.

I dropped off the interstate after crossing the Tenn line and back into the Park as I passed this power plant on the state line

Looks like the slow economy has dealt the Smoky Mountain Gift shop a hard blow. Dang, I was hoping to get in on some good deals

Well, went on up the dirt road behind the gift shop to see what I could find

The AT crosses up here as I cross over the NC/TN line again

Ok headed onto pavement at this point and this TN 32 sucks...don't ride this..10 miles of first gear curves..seriously unless you are one of the folks who use no engine braking and hit the brakes going into every curve...I hate being behind you if you do!

Nice camping here and a good trout stream about 10 miles down 32 from the NC line

Bad economy has hit here too I guess

Whats this fancy entrance? Cosby Utah Canyons with bears?

They ain't doing much here either as it looks

It looks almost abandoned inside these gates...maybe I'll go back and name this the "Bad Economy Thread"

Ok folks, I hit some faster roads down toward Gatlinburg, and over to Pigeon Forge and was behind the "Delivery Truck and Old Farts Parade" until I was near insane and then I finally got on Wears Valley Road and over to Townsend TN. Neat little town with bicycle paths and nice motels fer you honeymooners...anyway..found some grub at the Smokey Junction Restaurant. Sorry..I always eat some of it before you get a chance to see it...

It wuz good but a little heavy duty fer me so I guess it will be oat meal fer supper

Rode on over to this place known as Cades Cove

What can I say? Purdy ain't it. Now you have seen it so don't waste yor time coming here...

Now here is where the fun begins...one way dirt...no cell...no emergency service...no nothing for 10 miles but lots of rough road. Don't do this with a cruiser...you won't be happy.

About 3.5 miles in are these trailheads

8 miles of parson's Branch later, you come this this known as the 'Dragon'.

Headed home on this road which is nice but I know a lot of roads just as much fun and no crowd. Two motorcycle accidents, nothing serious apparently, before I got to Fontana...hope I get off this road in one piece

Better scenery on further south on 28 I think

Ok, I got back on 74 east and went home and will not bore you with photos of that....today's mileage and a really fun ride in spite of the sucky curves was 217.6

Til next time

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 07:19 PM
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote