View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
Tha Saga of the Rear Tire.

I love my Aprilia. It's a blast to ride. It's Comfortable and has been trouble free except a leaking fork seal that was replaced under warrantee. My biggest issue has been that this thing eats rear tires very quickly. I replaced the stock tire at only 3200 miles. Since the stock tire is an unusual 130/80-15, I decided to try a 130/90-15 which is a common size cruiser tire. On recommendation of someone on the Aprilia forum I tried a Kenda. It worked great but only lasted 3700 miles. So I went with a more expensive name brand next. The results were the Dunlop which lasted all of 2600 miles.

Unlike many people today, I have a cell phone which is just a phone, not a smart phone. A smart phone would have come in handy looking for a tire but I had the next best thing, a smart friend with a dumb phone and a computer. So I called my buddy Steve and he got on the internet and looked up some motorcycle shops in cities nearby. Surprisingly, most of these places were open Mondays and opened at 8:30 or 9:00 AM.

I decided that nearby Wytheville would be the most convenient so I tried there. The first place I got through to was a Honda/Kaw/Suz/Yamaha dealer. They had a tire in my size but would only work on brands they sold. I guess business was so good they could just turn it away.......or maybe their mechanics were to incompetent to figure out how to change a tire on something as exotic as an Aprilia?

Next I called a Victory / Polaris dealer. They had a tire in stock and would be glad to mount it on an Aprilia. They already had an appointment that morning how about 10:00. Perfect. I packed up and rode over to Wytheville arriveing right at 10:00. At 11:00 I had a new tire on my scooter. Here's a pic of the place:

Based on my experience and also the way they took care of another customer who had a problem, I would highly recommend Hilltop Cycles to anyone passing through with a problem.

Then I headed over to Wendys to get some lunch and come up with a plan for the day.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote