Another hot day, but I wasn't going to let it stop me from making some progress.
I opened the clutch up, but didn't reassemble everything. I've decided I'm going to let my BMW shop install the rear main seal so I don't have to buy or borrow the special tool. With everything already opened up, it should take them just a few quick minutes and I'll get it done when I go to pick up the laced wheels. So, I turned my attention on the brakes, which needed new shoes.
The front was first. Old:
New EBC shoes:
Greased everything up with moly grease:
And back together:
Then the back:
New and old shoes:
Greased everything up again, and back together:
Then I decided to take a look at the piston rings. I had read something recently that suggested if you had even carbon build up all the way to the edge of the piston, the rings were probably fine. If the edges were clean, it meant that oil was bypassing the rings. I had even carbon build up across piston, so I almost skipped swapping out the rings. I'm glad I didn't.
Rather than try to measure the end gap in the piston, I removed the top ring from the right piston and put it in the cylinder to see how it looked. Holy crap, have you ever seen so much end gap? I didn't have a feeler gauge large enough to even come close to fitting in this gap. I have no idea why it is like this, but it was enough to convince me to replace all the rings.
After that, I decided I'd better measure the gaps for the new rings. They all checked out fine, typically between 11 and 12 thousandths.
I really like the packaging that BMW sends the rings in. This makes it hard for even a no-talent wannabe mechanic like me to mess this up!
Pulling rings off and replacing them:
I was happy with my decision to replace the rings - as I removed them, 3 of the 6 broke in half when I tried to spread them apart. They were quite brittle from years of service.
That's all for now. Once the rear main seal is in, the flywheel and new clutch parts will go back in. Then it's time to reassemble the engine and the major mechanical parts of this rebuild are done.
Getting closer all the time!