View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Had a little bit of time today and decided to see why the center stand leavs the bike so wobbly (center stand pictured a few posts back...#27 I think). Took it off and cleaned it and the bolts and bushings up to take a look. Threads in the frame lugs looked to be decent as did the bolts. Bushings and the hole in the stand wasn't terribly wallowed out nor did the stops seem really worn, especially on the stand itself (but then I'm new to the airhead). Thought the problem was that one of the bolts was really loose when I took it out. Things were a little less wobbly when I put it all back together (red LocTite on the threads) but still not even enough "lift" to take weight off the suspension. I can still actually tip the bike right and left with the stand deployed. Not too confidence inspiring. Both sides of the stand are 'ground off", I'm assuming from use, but that would probably have taken less than 1/4" of height from the diameter of the bottom tube. It seems to me the stand is just too short. Is there any particular reason that these stands are used to replace the stockers? A stock center stand will actually lift one wheel (front?) off the ground about 1" or so, won't they? I have good fabrication equipment and could build up the stop on the stand so it didn't lean quite as much, actually making it taller by standing more upright, but also thought about finding a stock /6 stand. Thoughts?

Thanks

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote