View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
judobiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
KDX200 Tuning Help

Here's the deal: I bought a '01 KDX with low hours. I put a fresh top end in it fairly recently. The jetting on it when I got it was 48 pilot, 160 main with stock exhaust and snorkel removed. It was rich, so I went down to a 45 pilot and 155 main. That seemed to be just about right with great throttle response everywhere.

When I started doing harescrambles, I decided to do some upgrades and replaced the exhaust with a FMF Woods pipe and silencer. The low range power seemed to pick up with just a little less at the higher end of the range. A couple of weeks later, I replaced the 11 year old reeds with Boyesen Dual Stage Reeds. Bottom half of the rev range is awesome, but at about half throttle it drops off and doesn't want to rev. I'm finding myself getting dusted by 125's on straightaways and having to do excessive downshifting on hills--and that just ain't right.

l'm in Georgia at about 800 feet above sea level. I've been running 87 octane mixed with Motul synthetic at 50:1, BR7ES plug. The plug always looks good when I wipe of the oil.

Anybody got any tuning ideas or a good baseline for the main jet and needle? Or should I junk the Boyesen reeds and go back to the stock ones? I feel like I've spent a fair amount of money to get my bike slower
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote