View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #81
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Day 11, part 2

Prior to getting to the actual entrance gate, there is a huge off-site parking lot and Visitors Center. I scored a parking spot right outside the door (for Wee safety), and we all piled into the Support Vehicle. After a short drive we got to the gate...

Got a map and stopped at the new-looking Visitor's Center. By the way, It seemed MANY of the Visitor's Centers are new. I hope they are being paid for by entrance fees... and not some sort of stimulus spending we can't afford. (OK my slight brush with politics is now over).

Prior to actually going on this trip, I had no idea what this park would be like. I assumed it would be directly on the main highway, and offer an overlook or two. There is more to it...

http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

We heeded advice we had read somewhere, and started at the overlook that was farthest from the Visitor's Center (at the bottom of the above map) and worked our way back. That way, most of the overlooks were on the right side of the road - making it easier to get in and out of the parking areas.

Some random sights:

"Natural Bridge"

Another bridge we spotted

We took WAY too many pictures to share here. Again, the day had a LOT of pic opportunities

Anyway, after working our way back towards the Visitors Center, we got to the area that you will most likely see in travel photos: the main amphitheater:

I wish I would have planned ahead and taken shots to stitch together as a panorama.

"The Grottos"

The main body of the canyon

After spending several hours at Bryce, we had to hit the road

After passing this guy...

...who for some reason didn't look pleased that I was passing him...

I followed his buddy for quite a few miles. Assuming they were indeed together, I am not sure if he was paying very good attention. As he sped up and we left his crabby-looking buddy in our dust. I think he might have thought I was his buddy in his mirror.

Then we entered The Grand Staircase of the Escalante

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_S...ional_Monument

This area is HUGE, and so are the sights

The sights just went on and on and...

The pics I have posted here are a very small portion of the ones that I took. Normally, it isn't too hard to weed out the iffy pics. Granted, I was using a crappy camera, and I am not a skilled photographer, but the subject matter was so good...

Even a dolt like me had little trouble getting some reasonably good shots in.

Up next: Capitol Reef

...and the day still has a LONG way to go.

guitarhack screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 06:36 PM
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote