View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #59
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
When I last updated you, I mentioned that we had the new bike. Since that time, we’ve been busily making preparations for all the work we need to do on the new bike. As Murphy’s Law would have it, both of the KX 250F’s we own are down and out and are requiring a re-build.

Time is at a premium with all that is going on, but I need to get a good practice bike up and running for him. At the same time we need to be prepping the new bike and giving him a little ride time on the new bike without riding it too much and causing any damage or necessary repairs.

We had another Endurocross fairly local to us this past weekend that Josh raced last year and really wanted to race again this year. I conceded that he could ride the new bike.

It was a good opportunity to give it a real test in some tough conditions.

David Pearson showed up to race and it was fun for Josh to be banging bars with one of his heroes. Back in 2007 when Josh was 11, he attended a local riding school for the day put on by David Pearson in support of local Utah rider Bert Bradford who was participating in the ISDE that year in Chile. Ever since that time, David has been someone that Josh has looked up to and enjoyed watching .

Here Josh is being hounded by David’s cousin Tuffy Pearson in the pro main event.

Josh was rockin the headlight just for fun.

After all was said and done, Josh had a respectable finish in the Pro main event (he was doing great until he cartwheeled through the matrix and rung his bell pretty good), and bike and body survived.

It was then on to a week of family “vacation”. With all that has been going on, I was looking forward to a week out our family’s cabin in Island Park Idaho for the 4th of July holiday. I planned to spend my days off working on bikes and trying to get caught up.

Today we made a makeshift work area outside and went to work on trying to get some of the work completed on the bike.

Most of what we planned to get on today (Dirt Trix sprockets and rotors, Regina Z-ring chain, GPR stabilizer and top triple clamp, Bulletproof designs radiator guards, shark fin, and chain guide, new axle blocks, Turn Tech 2.5A battery, along with several other goodies (we didn’t get it all done).

Nothing like taking a drill and tap to your new swingarm. However, this BulletProof designs chain guard and new T.M. chain guide bolted up nicely and should help in the rocks.

New Zinc coated and hardened Dirt Trix rotors front and rear and BulletProof Designs shark fin.

And Bulletproof Designs radiator guards.

Most everything went together nicely, but there is still a lot to do.

We borrowed a friend’s Trials bike for some fun and a little cross-training. We had to take a few breaks during our 4th of July work session to enjoy our surroundings. Josh and little brothers are digging the Trials bike. This is great cross-training.

Josh is feeling comfortable with the bike. The biggest challenge at this time is just getting everything together in time before the end of the month comes to ship the bike. We are hosting a fund-raiser ride day at our local MX track in 2 weeks and there is an incredible amount of work to be done in that time.

The shirts should be printed by next week and we’ll start to get them mailed to those who have expressed interest.

Thank you for all of the encouragement and kind words for Josh. Although much has been said about him, this has really been a family commitment and experience and I’m appreciative for how supportive they have been as well.