View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #52
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
It was getting to be time for lunch so I thought I'd try out a place recommended by the folks at the visitor center. the name of the resaurant was the Levee House and it was right by the Ohio River and not far from the Lafayette Hotel. They had some table outside overlooking the River but it was getting really hot so I opted for the comfort of air conditioning inside. I had the soup and salad which was perfect for lunch, it tasted good but wasn't too much for a reasonably light lunch. While I was there I took the opportunity to soak my cooling vest in water. I had not yet used it on the trip but it was hot enough that I figured I'd need it today. I stored it in a large ziplock bag so that it would be ready to go when I needed it.

Here's my scooter with the Ohio river in the background. The Levee House is just behind my scooter and across the street.

After lunch I worked my way out of town on route 26 north. What a great road. As soon as I got out of town, there were a bunch of great curves. I was having a great time, enjoying leaning the bike in the curves and the scenery as well when I happened to glance down and...........Oops!, I had plane on getting gas in Marietta but forgot

I was probably only about 5 miles out of town. My gas gauge, which is very inaccurate, showed less than 1/4 tank but the low fuel warning light had not come on yet. A smart man would have turned around then or at least stopped and looked at a map. Well, sometimes I am just not very smart (OK, sometimes I'm downright dumb).

So I just rode along.........mile after mile.....................after mile. Did I mention that this was a great road?

I was hoping to see someone so I could stop and ask how far to the next gas Station.

But I saw no one except a few vehicles coming the other way.

I saw a cool covered bridge so I turned off and rode across (through?) it and took a pic.

A few more miles went by.

I knew I had enough gas to get back to Marietta but I also knew that the further I rode, the less I would be willing to turn back. Besides, this was Ohio, not Nevada. How far could it be between gas stations.

Finally I saw a man outside a van working on some tanks beside the road so I stopped and asked him haw far it was to a gas station.
What did he do? Of course he pulled out a map.

The map showed a number of small towns ahead but he didn't think their would be any gas stations until I got to route 800. He figured that would be 25-30 miles. So I thanked him and continued on. The low fuel light came on as I pulled out. I thought I could go around 30 miles with the light on but had never actually gone that far. My tank is Advertized to have a capacity of 2.37 gallons. I had filled up before when the low fuel light came on and it took around 2 gallons. So I had around a third of a gallon and had been getting between 65 and 80 MPGs. I should be able to make it. I decided to take it easy on the throttle.

I came by another covered bridge so I stopped to take a pic.

If I was smart, I would have turned around to get gas miles back. Now I was committed and would be sweating it every mile until I got to a gas station.
Did I make it?

Do Batman and Robin escape the diabolical trap?

Who shot JR?

Stay tuned

klaviator screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 01:42 PM
klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote