View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Around the World in 800 Days

Sunday June 26, 2012
Every RTW has to have a start and mine is off to a great start.
My GF and I headed down to Cabo San Lucas for the week.
Our first night we spent in Ensenada.
We stopped at La Fonda for a Margarita. We went wine tasting at LA Cetto. We grabbed a beer and watched the sunset at Casa Natalie Boutique Hotel. And then dinner at Ophilias, the best restaurant in Ensenada.
The next day we road 500+ miles and we are camping at El Coyote in the Bay of Conception.
This was my first real outing for my 1200GS and I am liking it. It has good power. Gets good mileage and has an awesome range (which is a good thing in Baja). The temperature ranged between 60 and 95.......great for putting back a few beers and swimming in the Bay but hot on a motorcycle. I got to say my Rev'it Defender jacket and pants did a great job with the various weather, especially the jacket. The airflow is wonderful. My Rev'it Apache boots are nice at anything less than 80 degrees but above that, my feet got hot. I think it is partly because the engine layout on my BMW directs the hot air toward my feet. Not good for Baja but it will be beneficial when I head to Alaska in July. As an added benefit, the cylinders also shield the wind flow so my boots will stay dryer in wet weather (I hope). Well, the boots are Gore-tex so I will find out.
Next stop Cabo