View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #89
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredster View Post
I have a pic of my daughter like that from about 8 years ago. Actually nice to see they constructed some rather handsome looking stalls. When we were there it was more like shacks made out of junk that were randomly located around the place. I also noticed all of the bottles, cans and trash for miles along the road leading to the monument. Since then I have told people not to bother going there as I found it really depressing (and there are so many other awesome places to see in the southwest) so good to see they have made improvements.

On a more positive note, great ride report! I was born and raised in Michigan but lived in Utah for 9 years before moving back to Michigan 2 years ago. Your pictures make me miss the West but bring back some great memories. Thanks for sharing.
Come to think of it, the facility did look new. At the time, there was a VERY strong wind blasting us with sand. So the surrounding stalls worked as a nice wind-break.

Regarding the shoulders of the road: there really wasn't that much "trash" (in terms of paper, wrappers, etc), mostly just bottles - that looked to be glass. There seemed to be WAY more bottles than there should be, considering what the population numbers appeared to be. The bottles must have been collecting for decades.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote