View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #77
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles0449 View Post
The last time we had any true British contenders, and by that im going to stretch the basket slightly, would have been John Deacon [best finish 6th], who rode BMW and KTM, before he passed away. Following his lead would have been Patsy Quick [amateur, but KTM did eventually supply 2 bikes for her and Zippy, her co rider], Mick Extance [26th on a Honda 450 in 09] Nick Plumb or Stan Watt [Irish!], all have been essentially privateer efforts, with varying levels of support from the industry.

Aside from these names, there have been a multitude of riders having a go, but I would say all are far from being contenders.

It seems to me, that Sam is the first Brit to be on a full factory deal for the Dakar, which is no mean feat, when you consider how anti motorsport the UK can be. Theres no denying that living in the world's biggest sandpit has to have helped his cause and I wish him every success!
Thanks Biggles - no pressure on him then - Lol

Whatever happens there won't be a fitter and more prepared rider out there - as you say the sandy bits won't present too many problems - well, consider that it is the Dakar !
too old is offline   Reply With Quote