View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #94
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
Day 12

Monday, June 11th
Mileage: ?

Moab is more or less nestled between Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.

For no particular reason, we decided to go to Arches first.

http://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm

So through the gate...

...and onto the Visitors Center we went - to do our normal routine; watch the movie and get the passport stamped.

Some wildlife sculptures outside the Visitor's Center:

Arches is a mix of road-visible attractions and sights that needed to be hiked to. ....and it was getting hot very early in the day. So we had to do a little picking and choosing.

When you take the main road in, you climb a little, then are treated to some magnificent rock formations:

My favorite: the Three Gossips

More "windows" and "arches"

"Balanced Rock"

One of the more famous arches, that is portrayed on a lot of official Utah signs, is "Delicate Arch". To get a really good view of it, you have to hike quite a distance. We weenied out and took photos from a distance. (like I said, it was HOT)

Freeze Gopher! (I know, it's not a "gopher" - but it's hard to pass up a Caddyshack reference)

Gratuitous daughter shot

We thought this was odd looking. Couldn't really make up our minds what we thought it looked like...

It looked like a cross between a butt and and mushroom. A "buttroom"?

"Fiery Furnace"

We had been at Arches for a couple of hours and were conserving our energy for a longer hike: to see "Landscape Arch". Apparently a large portion of it had fallen away from it a few years back, and the experts say its days are numbered.

The trail...

while not long,

...and not full of elevation changes,

(HA, can you tell Christina is getting a little annoyed by 2 weeks of parental overload?)

was a little tough - as it turned to sand

But in time we got to Landscape Arch

The hike got us over-heated. So, after hiking back to the Support Vehicle, and enjoying a few more views along the way...

...we drove the short distance back to the hotel, (Where I had scored a primo covered parking spot outside the front door) ...

...had a bite to eat, and cooled off for a while.

Up next: Canyonlands

guitarhack screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 07:02 AM
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote