Old 07-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,322
A few questions...

Application:
  • 2010 KTM 450 XCW.
  • Electric start, plus kick start.
  • Full DC conversion (All stator output is rectified and regulated instead of the split AC lighting / DC charging system that comes OEM)
  • OEM battery is an YTX5L-BS, frequently upgraded to a YTZ7S

Questions:
  • What size are the terminal posts/bolts the 'small case' batteries? Every picture I've seen just shows the plastic coated wing-nut on the top. 6mm bolt size?

• 4-cell vs. 8-cell? I'm leaning towards a 4-cell for size/weight/cost reasons. The 450 will kick-start and run fine with no battery at all, so being stranded in the middle of nowhere isn't a huge concern. Nor is very cold weather performance, as the bike isn't going to see much action below freezing. Stator easily delivers more power when running than being consumed, so I'm not worried about drain while riding. My only real concern is simply not enough juice to start the bike consistently on the first/second/maybe third try in normal use, and prematurely killing the battery.

• How sensitive is the battery to excessive depletion (you list 10.5v as the do-not-go-below voltage on your web site)? What would be the result if somebody continued to try and use the electric start till it simply cranked too slowly for any hope of a start? What about if I accidentally left the lights on till full depletion? Is the battery then 100% toast? Or might it come back with stator charging with some (hopefully minor) reduced capacity?

pfb screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 12:56 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote