View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,609
We had a mostly easy ride thru Bulgaria to the border, took a different route this time, as there is not a ‘main road’ there are a lot of options. No problems at the border, everyone friendly as usual. We then got on the main highway to make Istanbul before dark. Poly was not happy with the traffic there, but I’ve been in worse. You just have to deal with it. We arrived at the Istanbul Motorcycle clubhouse, where I finally met Mehmet. We had talked online for a couple years, but never met. They have an apartment for rent above the clubhouse, it’s a nice place, & the bikes are parked inside. Its not the easiest place to find, it would have been tough without a gps!
We also met Fern, she is from the UK, & is traveling to Australia on a DRZ400. I had heard about her thru some other friends, she’s a nice gal, & fun to hang out with.

The next morning we went to see a few sites, as its Poly’s first time in TR. We did the normal stuff, the grand bazaar (which was more like a shopping mall, nothing like I expected) it was ok, but pretty boring, nothing like the big market in Marrakesh, which is total bedlam.
Then we went to the Blue Mosque, which is big. And blue. And to the big Sofia mosque also. We left the bikes parked, as its a lot easier to get around with the metro & walking. There is a lot to see here, but Im not much for big cities, so one day of fighting crowds is enough for me. Watching the different people is always interesting tho, and as longhaired guys with tattoos are not so common here, I got watched a bit as well.

So heres some pics…..

Badgers? Badgers? We don’t NEED no steenking BADGERS!!!!

Sunflowers in bloom, in Bulgaria

Mehmet, at the bike club

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote