View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #104
guitarhack OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Day 13

Tuesday, June 12th
Mileage: ~ 250

While we had "turned the corner" so to speak at Cedar City, Utah, today we really started in the direction of home. So the focus was on making miles. It just so happened, most of the miles were scenic.

Luckily, we really didn't have that far to go, so the day wasn't that grueling.

One of my favorite roads on the trip was Hwy 128, East of Moab. It travels along the Colorado River (as did most of the roads today) and was a real gem.

We were stuck for a while behind these two slow-pokes, ...but not for too long

Talk about a view!

So we are riding along, just enamored by the scenery when we hit another gravitational shift. This time it was an entire 180 degree shift. I nearly flipped!

(I know, that joke is stupid, immature, and old... but so am I )

Anyway, more of Hwy 128...

I mean really.... Look at that road

Still hugging the Colorado

Had enough of these pics of 128 yet?

The view just kept coming...

I won't continue to beat this dead horse...

But if you are in the area, ride 128

Eventually, we met up with I-70. It started out to be about what you would expect from a major interstate...

...but even its views got better and better as we went along

Still traveling along the Colorado

Then, the interstate did something cool. The east and westbound lanes split and became sort of terraced...

I am going east towards Vail and Denver

Nearing a tunnel

I have no idea why the colors are so different in these next 2 shots

All things considered...

...for an interstate...

...I-70 east of Grand Junction ain't too shabby

In short order we made it to Vail. After a short wild-goose-chase at the hands of Gail Garmin, we made it to our hotel and used our last gift card. . By the way, hotels in Vail, off season, are a steal.

Our "room" had a fireplace, full kitchen, seperate dining area with living room with a sofa bed, separate king bedroom, two full baths, and a nice porch.

...for about $100 a night!

After enjoying a few beers and the view from the porch...

We got there early enough to do laundry (in the nice FREE laundry room), and then got lost trying to find a place to eat. We ended up at a so-so pizza place, then called it a night. It was our last night together on the trip - as the Support Crew had to head for the Denver Airport in the morning.

...but I still had several days riding before I made it home to Georgia. So stay tuned...
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote