View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Grande Prairie to Tumbler Ridge

So even though I had a lot of ground to cover in little amount of time, I couldn't resist taking the scenic route. I have been wanting for a while to check out the town of Tumbler Ridge. It's a community that's only two years older than me, but has a fascinating history and is full of dead dinosaurs, waterfalls, and mining roads to explore. My kind of place. Check out more about it here.

Anyways, to get there, I took that route that Google will never take you.

View Larger Map

Leaving the highway just before the giant beaver at Beaverlodge, I took the 722 to the metropolis of Elmworth (population:9.)

Not much for curves.

But she's a beauty none the less.

I didn't bring an Alberta map, so I ended up winging it south and west (and hitting a couple dead ends) on the gravel, but I eventually hit Township Road 700, which led me to where I wanted to go.

I don't think there was even a sign at the border, but I am pretty sure this is Hiding Creek, meaning we're in Beautiful British Colombia now.

The water's not muddy here, like back home, but stained red with tannins.

Eventually, there was a sign.

Which confirmed that I was indeed where I wanted to be.

The road splits here.

The left fork goes on a long dead end traverse southeast almost all the way back to the Alberta border.

But I took the right fork, heading southwest towards the heritage highway.

I know that my final destination was supposed to be north, but this way I snuck in an extra 200 km of gravel for pretty much free.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote