View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 204
R1200GS Adventure Hyperpro rear shock install

Rear Hyperpro shock replacement

Remove the rear wheel and exhaust silencer. I recommend soaking the silencer clamp bolt with WD40 for a while before undoing.

Breaker bar again required to move the bottom bolt. I tried blowing some hot air into the gap by the thread to get some heat in to soften the thread locking agent. Brace the rear arm so it does not fall to the ground when the bolt comes out.

Undo and remove the top nut and bolt, remove the shock.

This was also an opportune moment to check the rear pads and confirm the rear break unit was sliding correctly on the sliders.

Spread the pads with a large screw driver and confirm the break unit slides freely.

Check this thread for full photo documentary of rear brake caliper maintenance.

With the shock out.

This is the plain black custom dirtskin I ordered.Did I mention I was very pleased with this item :).

I meant to photograph the Velcro side opening, but forgot. Suffice to say you can remove the dirtskin with the shock in the bike.

Fitting the new shock was the reverse of removing, and simple after the doing the front.

And all back together for the test ride.

As for my planned off road trip to Far North Queensland, well, work is getting in the way. Looks like a smaller trip instead to central Victoria will be the way to go. Oh well, there is next year. Only a 6-8 week window for the FNQ trip in reasonable conditions, and there are reports in the news of lots of water that way at the moment.

The Other JC screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 02:58 AM Reason: link to brake calliper service
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote