View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #16
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Update....1

Note....for some reason my keyboard is playing up and transposing y and z. I have tried to catch all instances but if you see something out of place....sorrz !

On Sundaz, Ad, Jan, Martin and mzself went for another walk around Almaty, including a visit to Kok Tobe. This is a hill to the south of the city where there is a small amusement area and the Almaty telecom tower. See photos below.

Green Bazaar with mountains to the south from Ad and Martins hotel balcony on Sunday morning....

Yenkov's Cathedral, we think Russian Orthodox, in Panfilov Park

View over Almaty from the cable station on Kok Tobe. The bottom cable station is just above Hotel Kayakhstan, see later photo. We didn't find it so took taxi to near top then had a verz hot uphill walk to do the rest. I verz much advise using the cable. btw, Lonelz planet gives the price as 300 tenge each way....well now its 1000 tenge each way, or about 5.5 Euros.

Me and the Beetles statue that was placed on Kok Tobe in 2007. The 'installation' is by Eduard Kazaryan

This is the Kayakhstan Hotel with the Guns and Roses Pub below. If you walk (uphill all the way) to this hotel, continue on uphill and there is the cable station. I have a waypoint but not at this moment, will post later.

Just near this is what I believe to be the Childrens Republican Palace

Last photo for this post is another shot of the Green Bazaar, but taken illegally inside the food hall. One of the later group got arrested for taking a similar photo. I think he got away without paying any fine. There were 2 police with him in the room, as soon as 1 left, the remaining one, opened a draw and invited him to put some money inside. Plazing dumb worked I think.

Ok, just 1 more. The actual war memorial in Panfilov Park

While we were out, the bulk of the allroadmaniac group arrived at the hotel. The 2 Brits, Chris and Nick, came out with us for shashlik and a few beers on the Sunday evening but we didn't see the others till Monday. See next post.

btw, for those bemoaning the lack of femail's in the photos so far, I will try to address this dereliction of duty soon.. There are some really beautiful ladies here and, like most of eastern Europe and Asia, are always smartly dressed.

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 03:45 AM
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote