View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
JackL OP
T plus 16 months

Oddometer: 434
Jan 2012, More Baja

James, the kid with the cruiser I met, and I finally got out of Ensenada and headed south.

We stopped at a blow hole and tourist trap town at La Bufadora.

We stopped for gas and lunch. James was obviously enjoying himself.

As we pulled into El Rosario for the night I saw a bunch of larger dirt bikes at the gas station. Somehow they didn't look like locals so I asked them about a good place to stay. It turns out they were ADV Riders from Seattle and the Puget Sound area who had driven down in an old bus. We ended up staying next to them at the Motel Estat.

Apparently they have a ride report on ADV. If anyone has the link can you post it here?

The next day we headed south and then attempted to get to Coco's Corner. Unfortunately the cruiser was sliding around too much up the hills so we turned back. Another time I guess.
Lunch stop.

We crossed the Tropic of Capricorn and decided to push on to San Ignacio. We made it just after dark so broke that rule, but not by much. Was a beautiful sunset that we had to watch that made us late.

We got a room at the Rice and Beans where we met some other riders from IN & KY.

James bike was leaking gas badly around his carbs so the next day he took it to a mechanic while I checked out the sites.

The Rice & Beans is a major stop for the Baja 1000 crews who have stickered it up nicely. If you look near the lower left corner you'll see a sticker for Smarty Pants, the bike bar in Seattle I watch MotoGP at.

San Ignacio was pretty and very green for Baja.

The local mechanic who worked on James' bike made models out of found items. He had one almost identical to James' cruiser.

We headed out the next day and made it to San Ignacio, an old French mining town. The work on James bike hadn't helped so he decided to push on to La Paz where he had friends. I had lunch and checked out the town.

The old smelter

As I continued south, now on the east coast of Baja, I enter Cactus country!

I arrived in Mulege early that day but decided to call it good and have a wander around and some drinks. I think it's one of the prettier towns in Baja.

I stayed at Motel Squid which was a fine place. While out drinking I met another American, Josh. It turned out he was on a BMW and on ADV. We decided to ride south together the next day.
After meeting for breakfast

We checked out the old mission.

The ride from Mulege to Loreto is one of the prettiest in Baja.
Leaving Mulege

The Big Trip (aka Le Grande Tour), Year 1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585393

6 months in Europe on a Duc
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217104&highlight=jackl

JackLs Thailand/Cambodia Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jackls

JackL is offline   Reply With Quote