View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
18th July Shonzhy to Taldyorgan

No off-road today....with brake lever like that and the events of yesterday, decided to get to a largish town/city on my route, cutting out the off-road part.

Left the hotel, filled up with gas on the outskirts of the town and started towards Koktal as this had a mosque that I wanted to see and I needed to go this way to get to Taldykorgan anyway.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. Thought I had got a bit of trouble when a car kept over taking me and then slowing down.....but it turned off eventually.

Stopped to refuel me, not the bike, at a modern gas station just outside Saryozek and met up with an Almaty biker and girlfriend on their way to the Kazakh Altai for a long weekend.

Here we are.....after exchanging contact details in case I needed anything.

I tried to keep up with them for a short time but they were traveling faster than I wanted to on offroad boots.

Arrived in Taldykorgan just as my fuel light went on. After a quick calculation, I was surprised at the difference in mileage that the bike did with 92 octane fuel (allegedly) compared to 96 that I got in Almaty.

Found the hotel I had picked up from GE but it looked way too grand and expensive. However, It was cheaper than the one in Almaty....but no WiFi, which was strange. Was also right next to the center of town.

Found a good shashlik place later with 1 girls who spoke passable English>Lat 45.019764 Long 78.37924

A few photos of the center. In the first one, the building on the left appears to be some sort of night club, judging by the music blasting out of there in the evening.

That's pretty much it for now. I am taking a day out here tomorrow and will continue riding on 21st, heading for Ayagoz and then Semmipalatinsk.

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 04:12 AM
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote