View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
jetjackson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Rear wheel bearing disintegrated in rural Moldova, need advice asap please.

HI Guys,

2008 F650GS Twin
18,000 Miles on the clock

Just across the border from Moldova today I started to feel a bit of a lump in the rotation of the rear wheel. Stopped, checked, rear wheel bearing had the tiniest click in it but I ignored it...

We kept going and 60 k's from Chisinau (the capital) the rear wheel shat itself. Took it apart and the rear wheel bearing has disintegrated, as per the other thread running here on this topic.

We were very lucky and though some serious charades and a few phone calls with a woman in a shop a guy who spoke basic English came, he got his brother who spoke better English on the phone, he had a van and was a great guy, long story short, now we are in Chisinau and I need to get this fixed asap.

Now I am going totry and chase down new rear wheel bearings tomorrow but I need to know, see picture below, this metal tube for the tyre (name please anyone?) seems to have got damaged on the end in the process. Is this divot on the end of this normal? Or is it fucked and do I need to get a new one, bearings are fairly standard, should be able to find those in Moldova, this on the other hand...

Any help, advice on this one would be appreciated. We are not going anywhere until we fix this...

Cheers.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote