View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,930
the bike

For those of you wondering how I can do this all again so soon, because this question always comes up sooner or later, so this is how –

I did get that pay off from the accident, not a large amount but I invested it and got lucky and beat the market.

So while I can still see (did you read the third paragraph in the first post) I’m doing a RTW on a very tight budget and I’ll deal with ‘real life’ later

Now a question to you???? If you live anywhere on my “kinda” route drop me a PM if you have tent space, it would be greatly appreciated

Or if you have suggestions of places to ride thru/ see in your area that I might miss if I didn’t know they were there…let me know

So what am I riding?

2009 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere…yes the one that never got here

With the Jesse luggage

the first 7000 miles or so I am using Wolfman Luggage and then I will ride back to Louisiana to swap back to the Jesses for the rest

I found a few issues when I stripped the bike down, I had bought a chain in South America last year and rode with it for a while, as I couldn’t find an O ring or X ring anywhere, I had to take a standard 520 chain and it stretched after only about 1000 miles and even though I was making adjustments almost daily it was hitting the swingarm. On top of this by the time I was riding in Alaska my shock was starting to fail on rough road even on the stiffest setting I would still bottom out of severe bumps, so the two main issues I had to deal with were a swingarm replacement and a new rear shock

Beside that not really any problems, most was just upgrades and enhancements (so that would be farkles then!!!)

From a strip down onwards - a few teaser photos

The old swingarm on the right and the new one on the left

the finished article

This is the list

Renthal twin wall bars
heavy duty risers
dual garmin gps set up
high out put spot lamps from monster ADV
front turn signal relocation
crash bars SW Motech
barkbusters
exhaust MTC
front suspension Hyperpro
rear suspension Ohlins
side stand foot enlarger - ME
center stand foot enlargers - ME
chain guard - ME
cush drive -ME
kev fuel mod
new swingarm
swingarm bearings
new hard luggage Jesse Luggage
chain roller All Balls Racing
chain and sprockets – JT Sprockets
quick fuel disconnect
valve adjustment
brake and clutch levers
headlight protector – ME
new 12 volt socket
mini rear turn signals
new license plate

There is a full report of all the mods that I did after the bike hit 50,000 miles - read it here

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 10:36 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote