View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachary View Post
Ahem. This suggestion was spot on, as it happens. We're doing our 5,000km service this evening and when we went to disconnect our airbox to check/change the air filter, we saw that even though the carb hose clamps were still in place, the hoses had popped off the carbs. We're still doing the full service but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't fix things right there.

(And yes, now I feel suitably chastened that this wasn't the first thing I checked. Just goes to show - a perfunctory visual inspection doesn't cut it!)

Well that probably explains the poor fuel economy, too.

The connection between the rubber elbow and the carb can be a huge pain in the ass, but once its attached without pushing on the carb it usually stays in position. Keep an eye on them when you fill up for the next few days to make sure they're still attached and watch your boots when getting on/off.

You'll find the compression clamps don't need to be super tight to keep the elbow on (too tight may actually force the elbow off the flange).

Some members of sovietsteeds have taken to attaching a short length of muffler tubing to the carb flanges to increase the surface area the elbow has to available to attach to. It's probably a good "peace of mind" mod to perform at some point.
2006 DR650 (???)

AeroEngineer screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 10:35 PM
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote