View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #50
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,811
leaving in about three hours to drive through the night...this part of my RTW is the scouting ride for www.5000mileadventures.com - it will turn into about 7000 miles just because of checking things out, not including the drive to Trinidad

Drive to Trinidad???

Well the original plan was just ride of course (solo)...but then a friend 'wikedhd' asked if he could tag along, only issue there was he has 20 days vacation so to be able to ride from Louisiana all the way across texas at the start and again at the end wasn't an option, so the bikes are going in his truck for the trip thru Texas and the trip back

what is www.5000mileadventures.com - have a look at the website...but in short, when i have been on the road i bump into a lot of people who say the same thing

wish i could do what you do
i only have 3 weeks off a year
i have the wrong type of bike
arranging everything would be difficult, i wouldn't know where to go etc. etc. etc.

i'm sure most of you have heard this before in one form or another?

so it got me to thinking, set up an adventure company, supply the bikes, gas, accommodation, tents if required, correct luggage, food, a route with lots of off road, back roads, logging roads, single track, go places the big companies don't go, just do one route and do it great....all you would need to do is bring your riding gear, a camera and a sleeping bag

...but why...well after being on the road for 38,000 miles last year the kindness and generosity of people just astounded me and i wanted to pay it back, as i'm not in one location normally too long, tent space wasn't an option, so i'm setting this up keeping the price very realistic and hopefully someone out there might be interested...BTW only four riders per 5000 miles so only about 20-24 riders a year, only runs in the summer and the route will probably vary a little dependent on the weather - no crazy big groups, done that personally and it sucks

even though the website shows the starting point to be Trinidad, it will most likely change to Las Vegas, easier to get to, better to party when the ride is completed and the wife's girlfriends who don't ride can spend your money while you are gone

anyway back to the ride....

here's what's in the soft bags for this trip...not including clothes

yes i know its a lot of tools but having owned a motorcycle shop, if i can, i will fix everything on the two bikes myself

packs down to this

sleeping gear and tent...yes i am sponsored by Big Agnes!!!

tank bag

bikes loaded photos in the next post

riding gear

the bikes

wikedhd is riding a 2008 Honda XR650L - it only has 600 miles on it, this is his first ADV ride

and me i'm on a 2009 Yamaha XT660Z with 54,000 miles on it!!!

...and the basic route according to the geeks at google...of course it isn't exact but it gives you a good idea, more details as we ride

time to go load the truck and get eaten by mosquitoes before it rains again!!!!

more later, stay tuned...

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 09:40 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote