View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Update 26th July

Just a quick update on progress then a load of photos.

Started back to Kazakhstan (Semmipalatinsk) but nearly ran out of fuel. It appears that my main tank is not being topped up by my X-tank. Tried everything to correct but with such a limited range, I decided to turn round and go visit Viktor again and see what he could do.

Got to his place around 3pm and by 5 was back on the road again. Not sure if it was fixed, and so sick of the road south to Semmipalatinsk so decided to head for Novosibirsk. I drove a total of 560kms that day to progress only about 220kms. Hard day.

As I entered the city, I saw a local biker by the side of the road and stopped to ask directions. To cut a long story short, I ended up being invited back to his home for the night. This turned out to be a soviet style tenement block. Really small, locks after locks to get in, and an orphanage right in the middle. It was a real experience. It turns out that Viktor used to be a speedway rider and had spend many years in Germany. His English was not good, but sufficient for us to communicate. I had the privilege of seeing many really old family photos from Siberia where his father was a mid level policeman during the war.

Barnaul Biker Bar shots....front with summer bar behind the bike.

Stables for club members and regulars

Entrance to the inside (winter) bar

Inside bar....1 of the rooms

Every time you go in, there is something else to notice

Alexsei, from Vladivostok, and his bike...

Other shots of Barnaul, including the war memorial opposite my hotel,

Viktor outside his tenement

The Tenement at night from Viktors apartment

And the Orphanage....

I left Viktors around 9am and rode 600kms of some of the most mind numbing roads I have ever been on, to Omsk. There is a smoke haze over the whole area, Novosibirsk to Omsk, due to the forest fires 300kms to the north around Tomsk.

These next shots are from Omsk. Looks like a really good place and I´d must come back sometime for a longer visit. As it is, I am moving on to Petrapavlosk (Kazakhstan) tomorrow.

The tower block is the ´Tourist´hotel. Right on the river front.

Bridge over the Irtysh River in Omsk.

As I said, back into Kazakhstan tomorrow.

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 03:38 AM
mikecbrxx is online now   Reply With Quote