View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #92
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac View Post
Crooked;
Can you elaborate a bit more on the Military Surplus ECWCS gear? Is this summer or winter gear (insulated?). How did you find the sizing - to size, fits big or small, how was sleeve/leg length for motorcycle use? Do you recall which vendor you dealt with? Ideally I'd like to find some waterproof (Gortex) gear to throw over my motorcycle armored gear. Thanks. Congrats on the new daughter!

Cheers Garry
It is considered winter gear (ECWCS = Extended Cold Weather Clothing System) but is just a shell. The parka has a Nylon liner, the pants don't. They don't get brittle in the cold (I've used them down to 30 below), which is nice. Sizing is accurate as they come not just in sm/md/lg, but short/reg/long as well. If you're borderline, go for a size "longer", especially if you'll be mostly using them on the bike. See chart here.

The Gen I stuff (which I have) is supposedly not as breathable as the newer Gore-tex, but if you're wearing it over layers, I don't think it matters much. I bought mine from this guy on Ebay, but he doesn't have any for sale right now. There are lots to be had on Ebay though, and dozens of vendors online.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote