View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #103
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
I put 17 inch wheels on my DR650 and haven’t looked back. I am surprised that SM hasn’t taken off more in the US. The bikes are fun to ride, there’s a lot of amateur racing around, I commute 30 miles a day on mine 9 months a year and they are cheap to insure and maintain. Plus you risk less in repairs if crashed.
I guess we’ll (the SM faithful) just have to keep building our own for now.

Standard U.S. wretched excess... a 400 isn't enough, nor is a 650, it has to be a 1000. I'm amazed there isn't some 1000cc motocrosser built for the U.S. mentality, but I guess the off road market learned from the Yamaha SC500 and Suzuki TM400 (although a well set up TM with a TS lighting system would make an entertaining supermoto that could easily power wheelie up to about 90 mph!).

Then, of course, there was the AMA "promotion" (or should we say destruction) of Supermoto in the early 2000s. No idea how they could screw up such a spectator friendly sport that could be put on in a parking lot, at a go kart track, or inside some paved automobile short track - especially the ones with a figure 8 built in them. Talk about hosing up a good thing... of course they did it a decade earlier with the Stroh's Mile Grand National sponsorship too.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote