View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
billdonna OP
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 911
1200GS Dead In The Water

Guys... A 2010 R1200GS on an extended tour of the Midwest and southern US died in the rain on the Blue ridge Parkway coming home to Canada. In a severe thunderstorm with heavy rain, on top of a mountain, in the middle of nowhere, the engine started to violently backfire, vibrate and pre-detonate. I immediately pulled over and rolled off the throttle. The bike purred at idle. As soon as I moved the throttle off the TB stops, the misfiring reappeared. As lightning was striking too close to me with no shelter,I had to ride it off the mountain in second gear at an idle. After a few minutes the engine was slowly able to take a little gas and returned to normal after 20 mins of bucking.I pulled into a great motel called Freebornes in Laurel Springs where all the Harley guys had pulled off. They got me in touch with a BMW dealer and I rode there the next morning. The tech said that it was the fuel pump controller and put a new one in. When I asked why he didn't run the codes first he said this problem was so common, he didn't need to. When he ran the codes after installation, sure enough 27B7 electric fuel pump came up and was cleared. He recommended that I carry a spare fuel pump controller on future long trips as this failure was common.

My question to my fellow inmates is this. I thought the fuel pump controller issue had been put to bed a few years ago. Can anyone give me some feedback on late model fuel pump controller failures? Thanks!!!