View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Astana

The ride to Astana was about 500kms. In the more northern part, there were sections of major road building going on so off-road routes were provided for 5+kms at a time. No problem for an enduro bike but a sports bike rider would have a problem. The no overtaking signs on these sections are ignored by everyone.

As I got to 100kms from Astana, the roads became western motorway standard. Just as well because a massive storm arrived and I got drowned before I could pull of to get waterproofs on. It was so bad, that the rain was just like Holland, horizontal, and I've only seen lightening and wind like it once before. I stayed put and waited it out in some protection that was anything but. The bike almost blew over at one point so I had to change its position to head into the wind..... of course, then the wind direction changed!

As it was the weekend, and I knew there would be no registration before Monday, I had booked a hotel for 3 nights. I ended up in a good hotel, for the money, by Astana standards. The hotel is arranging the registration for me on Monday so I have 2 days in which to be a tourist. Hence the photo blitz below. btw, will also do some bike maintenance as I forgot to check Viktors work in Barnaul and it looks like my chain is far too loose. No problem, just a minor job.

Anyway....here come the photos. No particular order. There may be ome more tomorrow.

Astana from my Hotel at night....

Looking along the ´Mall´towards the presidential palace..... a few photos at different points, this is a long and very beautiful walking area

Additional shots off to 1 side but at the palace end of the mall´´.....from the tower.

The ministry of defense....

Ministry of the Interior

The famous tower. Queues today (Sunday) were huge. Hope to get up there tomorrow when the fog is gone. For orientation, the presidential palace is behind it in a straight line.

Impressive shopping center off to one side....

Inside

Buildings off to the side...

Looking away from the palace towards this impressive structure and the equally impressive shopping mall beyond.

Approaching the shopping mall in the ´tent´

No Idea how this is pronounced....

This is what the area is expected to look like when it is finished...

Inside

The whole building on the roght is the Radisson Hotel. You need a mortgage to stay there in this town!

Opposite my hotel is the Museum of the first president of the Republic of Kazakhstan.

The Grand park Esil Hotel. Not a bad price for the city and not a bad location. 700 tenge taxi to the ´Mall´.

More photos to follow tomorrow....

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 05:12 AM
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote