View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #68
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,815
got up late, plan was for 200 miles, end up in Ouray late afternoon and hang out and relax….plan failed

by the time we got to the bottom of Hancock Pass it was about 8.30am.

I found out real quick the gearing on my bike was going to be a problem (too low)

if you've never been up here, this is a worms eye view, this isn't rock or pebbles this is boulders most of the way and its just a case of gas it and the boulders determine your line to a certain extent

i had two get offs before i was halfway up and then a third which would have made great video but no one even saw it. my front wheel hit a big rock throwing it up in the air, right at that same time i grabbed a hand full of throttle and wheelied into a bush at almost 90 degrees to the trail.

that trail is crazy tough and by the time we were at the top it was close to noon…

i guess living in Louisiana at sea level made it real tough going with the altitude, we had to take a good few rests. this was to hurt us later…

up and down pass after pass, getting caught in the rain

By the time we were at the the top of Cinnamon we had been in the rain for a few hours and at cloud level

later at california pass we got a little lost, we were both on reserve, and then on the way down my rear brake fluid boiled so i had to roll down from 12,000 feet with the motor off and using the gearing for braking

…eventually hitting 550 Pat ran out of gas and i had to tow him into town….quite a day that ended at 11pm…but fun all the same

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 07:26 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote