View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #215
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Joel
You again amaze me on the depth of knowledge and effort you add to this forum. Thank you.

Read this thread through and understood some of what you are doing. This is timely for me as I am preparing my 800GS for about 25,000 mile trip to South America. I would like to prepare the bike to make it as durable as possible through a wide variety of terrain, temperatures and altitudes I expect to encounter. Based on otherís experiences, it sounds like the electrical system is one place that could cause some headaches that I would just as soon mitigate before I leave.

Recognizing the OEM battery may not be the most reliable, at this point in time for a trip such as this, would you change the battery to a LiFePO4? I realize your research is not complete yet but, if you were to change it, AntiGravity? Will a 12 cell fit? Would I need to carry a specialized charger? If so, is there one that is fairly compact?

There was a bit of discussion about the regulator. If I understand it correctly, a different regulator may extend the life of the stator. Is that correct? If so, what regulator would be the best to switch to? Any other risks that become a concern if such a change is undertaken?
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote