View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #217
JoelWisman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Joel
You again amaze me on the depth of knowledge and effort you add to this forum. Thank you.

Read this thread through and understood some of what you are doing. This is timely for me as I am preparing my 800GS for about 25,000 mile trip to South America. I would like to prepare the bike to make it as durable as possible through a wide variety of terrain, temperatures and altitudes I expect to encounter. Based on otherís experiences, it sounds like the electrical system is one place that could cause some headaches that I would just as soon mitigate before I leave.

Recognizing the OEM battery may not be the most reliable, at this point in time for a trip such as this, would you change the battery to a LiFePO4? I realize your research is not complete yet but, if you were to change it, AntiGravity? Will a 12 cell fit? Would I need to carry a specialized charger? If so, is there one that is fairly compact?

There was a bit of discussion about the regulator. If I understand it correctly, a different regulator may extend the life of the stator. Is that correct? If so, what regulator would be the best to switch to? Any other risks that become a concern if such a change is undertaken?
25,000 miles! Get the new BMW stator. The MOSFET shunt stator helps a little but only a little. The series regulator a local inmate brought by reduced output by 12% which for me and my auxiliary lighting / heated gear is too much

My testing of batteries will likely never end but I'm 100% satisfied with antigravity and the F800's old low voltage regulator as well as Antigravity being superior to everything else, LiFePO4 and Lead acid, but you have to size it right.

The 12 cell is fine for any normal range of temperatures, but if you want a battery that cranks the bike faster then stock and doesent become a liability when the temperature is below freezing, get the 16 cell which fits with room to spare as does the 20 and 24 cell.

Pack a spare fuel pump and spare injectors, or at least leave part #s with someone who knows the tricks for shipping to whatever countries u will be in and tools / knowledge to change them.

Chech torque on shock bolts and adjust the headset. Lube the forks regularly.

Have fun!
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote