View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #74
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,804
left Ouray late after trying to find somewhere to get breakfast on a Sunday morning, plenty of places but all with a long wait…found somewhere and got riding around 9 am,

first order of business for the day was Ophir Pass. Going out of Ouray around the switchbacks my front end felt very notchy so we rode down the pass towards Silverton to the gas station at the bottom, the plan was get some grease and fix it…a quick teardown to clean and regrease the bearing. the gas station had no grease but the garage in the back had the owner there helping a guy with a bicycle. i asked if i pulled my front end apart could i get some grease? "sure no problem, i love helping you ADV guys out" so i tear the front end down to get the top bearing out and its partially ceased, all this in front of his shop he refuses to help and i didn't ask and didn't need any but he makes comments as i go along of course then i get literally a teaspoon of grease - now keep in mind here i could have gone into town and got a tub full for $5….as i'm putting the front end back together he comes up and says "i'm leaving now give me $10!" Moral of the story ride the two minutes more in to town

OK, front end back together and up Ophir…very cool, had to wait to go down the other side as a 50+ year old lady was jogging up, should have got a photo of her

we headed west to Utah after that and hit Moki Dugway, Goosenecks, Mexican Hat before finally settling at Valley of the Gods…

a storm looked like it was coming in, Pat somehow had a signal on his phone and it said 55% chance of rain - wrong. try 100% and it came down hard, with about 50mph + winds and a a full on lightning show to end the day, rain came down the whole night and at times it felt like the tent was being lifted up with me in it!

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 07:45 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote