View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #139
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
what is one more hydraulic system to maintain? I'd bleed my brake when I did my clutch, and do my clutch when I did my brake, and they'd both be happier for it.
The only kicker is that the hydraulic clutches use mineral oil rather than more widely available DOT 3 or 5. Anything else will eat the seals. You might be able to get away with some kind of cooking oil in a pinch if you had to drain and rebleed the system for whatever reason. Actually I think they have a seal kit you can get that allows use of brake fluid instead of mineral oil. Details.

From what I've seen on my friends' bikes the hydraulic clutches have been pretty reliable. I've gone through several clutch cables in the time they've had their hydraulic clutches which they basically haven't touched. The one exception being the time a friend low sided his 950 adventure on the left side doing around 60mph . The clutch master cylinder took quite a hit and shattered. My friend was also in pretty bad shape, so I let him ride my bike. I had to ride his bike clutchless shifting with VERY bent handlebars from central oregon back to Seattle. 6-7 hours on small two lane roads, got back around 2:00AM. In that particular case we probably could've bodged together a cable actuated clutch. There was no possibility for any roadside hillbilly fixes with the hydraulic clutch.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 04:03 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote