View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
fuggy OP
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 670
On our 2nd Day we rode Hermosa Creek. It drizzled all morning which kept the hikers and mt. bikers off the trail. We hit the trail just as the rain stopped and I was quickly reminded that the roots can be very slippery! I took a nice crash 5 minutes into the ride and luckily the GoPro Hero2 was rolling:

Hermosa is a beautiful trail that has pretty much everything you could want!

Nice spot for lunch, eh?

We rode out and back on Hermosa, about 45 miles total. We also checked out some other trails that branched off including Dutch Creek, Jones, and South Fork. Wish we had more time and daylight to explore all the of them. Maybe next time...

Day 3 our ride leader Jim took us on some local only trails near his home. Did I mention his home is awesome? Located up in a canyon surrounded by trees and water, we had trails to ride out the back door. I was in hog heaven:

My new best friend on the left:

Jim jumping off into the Colorado air:

Some of the DH MTB trail was wild. We encountered a few steep spots going up!

This is called a 'tree transition'. A nice 50 foot of chainsaw work on this tree:

The tree ends 5 ft above the ground and then you jump off and turn down this log ramp. (we chickened out)

We only rode 25 miles but the trail was exhausting and needless to say we Flatlanders had to take a few breaks along the way:

The wildlife on the trail also thought we were crazy: