View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #68
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,551
The next morning we went to town, this is about the last town before the border, Stepantsminda.
Its sort of touristy, and we actually finally met 2 cops doing some sort of jobÖ. They told us we couldnít park here.

Overlooking the town is this mountain with a church on the top

Itís a very famous symbol of Geo & the region, and I wanted to visit it. Its only 8km to the top, how bad could it be?
The clouds have moved in, & its starting to rain a little off n on. We start heading up thru the town, & the road gets real bad, real fast. Its getting steeper, and the rocks are getting bigger. Poly decided to wait in the town for me, so off I go.
It was a bad road. And as there had been rain recently, there was a stretch of slick mud, plus a lot of uphill & rocks. It sucked. But it was fun, and I was very happy when I made the top. Several 4x4ís were also there, and I saw several on the way up that were giving up & turning back. Its about 8000feet up at the top, and the church is about 600 years old. I really wish it hadnít been cloudy, as the surrounding peaks were covered. But it was still pretty awesome. Iíd bet not many Harleys had been up here before.

The way back down was more entertaining. I dunno about the rest of you, but going downhill on mud & wet rocks is not my favorite. I found Poly, who had made some new friends.
We gave them a motocamp sticker for their bikes, & headed to the border

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote