View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #33
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Update 1 - last few photos from Almaty

More about the hotel....

I can recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Almaty, It is not the cheapest, but is a long way from the most expensive. All the staff go out of their way to be helpful and all the reception staff speak good English. They can also arrange police registration for you.....it takes about a day. You have 5 days from entering the country to register with the immigration police or you wont get out without paying a hefty fine. I suspect, but Im not sure, that the fine cannot be paid at your exit point. btw, this applies to those entering on land borders. If you fly in and state you will be staying more than 5 days, you will get the second all important stamp on your immigration card as standard. I did the first time.

Back to the hotel....

positives, secure parking for bikes at the back of the hotel. Shopping mall 200 metres away with good pizza and cheap cold beer. As stated, about 700 tenge to the tower in the middle of the mall. A good tourist start point. Not far from the main shopping street and other facilities. Breakfast buffet is fine except to the most picky. Its clean!

negatives, air-con not very effective and hotel beer and food prices are expensive (European prices). The food is good though and there is an outside terrace at street level to eat and drink.

Ali-Baba night spot....short walk from the hotel.

Statue by the river which is about 10 mins walk from hotel

The river itself.....

Me and head cameras from Dogcam

That about wraps up Almaty. Moving on south now towards Qyzylorda.

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 04:16 AM
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote