View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #35
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Zhezgazghan to Kyzylorda

This was an interesting and shortish days ride.....or should have been.

On the map, its approx 450kms to Qyzylorda so I filled up my tanks and headed out. This chap I met at the fuel station and, with broken ENglish and German mixed, found out he runs a car repair shop in the town. By the looks of him., a good one too.

This statue was on the outskirts of town

After about 90kms, and having seen nothing, by some good fortune I decided to flag down a passing motorist to ask where the next benzine was. To my shock, he told me it was in Qyzylorda. Judging by my fuel consumption in this heat and on these roads, I was not going to make it. I had no alternative but to turn back.

So, I get back to the very same fuel station at 12:30 having done 180kms and ggne nowhere. This time I filled my tanks to the brim and also my fuel bladder that I had brought, fortunately. This should give me the range I needed provided I kept to about 80kms. The manager came out to talk to me, in very good English. Apparently 'everyone' knows there is no fuel on that road Doh....silly me

Anyway, I left Zhezgazghan about 12:45, on a long slow ride. This next photo is taken at the 365kms mark and my fuel light had been on for 20kms. Time to take of that bladder and refill my tank.

I forgot, I had txt to Nick that there may be a fuel issue and that If I wasnīt in Qyzylorda by 7pm, he should start looking for me. As it turns out, I made it with fuel to spare. BUT, even at slow speeds, I was at least 100kms short on my normal dual tank range. This would normally give me 450kms before the warning light, today I got 340 kms.

We met at the hotel we had agreed at....donīt remember the name but its in my GPS so will edit later.

Shot taken the following morning.

We were only allowed (?) a luxury room between us at 12600 tenge €70) and managed to get some food and drink before turning in. Another long day tomorrow up to Aral and the Aral Sea.

Sorry not so many photos at the moment but there is not much to see and just long distances to ride.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the first 100kms of tarmac out of Zhezgazghan is not very good. Badly cut up in places by trucks. Then there is a 30kms section of washboard gravel surface, then some more tarmac, then 140kms section of washboard gravel surface with some soft sections, before rejoining some reasonable tarmac into Qyzylorda. I thought this was bad at the time.....but read the next updates !

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 04:26 AM
mikecbrxx is online now   Reply With Quote