View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
FIXED ! ! ! 2008 KTM 690 Enduro stalling / no start AND cannisterectomy help please

So my bike is currently apart chasing the dreaded occasional stall / won't start again / wait anywhere between 3 - 20 minutes for restart issues. Once in a while, it stalls and then I can't restart it until I wait some insane, undefined period of time - perhaps could be a clogged fuel filter overloading and overheating the fuel pump as I've read is suspected in other threads of similar symptoms...

1- I've taken the fuel pump out and all looks good
2- I am off to my local auto parts store to get a generic fuel filter replacement (and hose clamps) instead of the KTM OEM unit (which looks quite dark - assuming it's dirty)
3- the screen at the bottom of the fuel pump seems clean and perfect - no black or white debris as described in other threads - literally looks brand new
4- everything inside the tank seems as it should be and clean - no dirt or anything else came out, no loose hoses, etc...

Well, since I have the bike half-apart, I noticed that the previous owner did what I would call a "partial cannisterectomy" - one of the hoses that comes out of the charcoal canister is bent over and tie-wrapped to seal itself - no idea if this is right or not but I thought while I'm in there and have everything apart, I might as well remove as much unwanted emissions stuff like the canister, etc but I couldn't find any threads that describe the required parts, process and hopefully some pictures to help me along.

Can anyone share a link or something with me while I'm at this today? For reference, the bike is a 2008 690 Enduro with an FMF Apex muffler and an aftermarket air filter (foam, two round chambers, well-oiled - brand unknown) and the bike has a three position switch mounted on the handlebar for engine map switching...

Thanks in advance everyone

Thanks in advance

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!

alongat screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 04:59 AM Reason: Update to title...
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote