View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Some preach it, some scoff, but what is it?

Opinions seem to vary wildly, what one rider considers ATGATT another may consider it totally inadequate. Does gear have to be motorcycle specific to qualify as gear?
On a track, usually yes. On the road or trail, there can be different standards, especially if the law comes into it. In a state where nothing besides legal clothing and eye-protection is required...some kind of street-legal helmet, some kind of gloves that protect better than bare skin, long sleeves, long pants, and over-the-ankle closed-toe footwear could be considered ATG. Sure, a leather 1-piece fully-armored tracksuit, FF DOT/Snell helmet, leather race boots, and leather race gloves would be better, but the person wearing the minimum I described above would usually be considered "better protected" than somebody wearing just sunglasses, a bikini, and flip-flops.

Quote:
Does what and how a rider rides change what is adequate protection?
It can. I wear a bit more/better armor when riding offroad, generally on my chest and legs. On the street, my gear is more biased towards being abrasion-resistant.

Kommando screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 01:06 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote