View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #522
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 270
This is becoming a PITA

I bought a 14mm hex wrench for a 1/2" drive today. That's for the bolt on the end of the crankshaft. It's a really nice bolt for turning the engine to find TDC, but the spark plugs gotta be out. So I spent the evening removing plastic bits, and the air box, and the plugs. Kinda damaging one of the coils, geez.

I found a BikeMaster flywheel puller, "Honda Puller MP11" is probably the correct one. Both rotor's have Denso printed on the side. Hence my confidence a Honda puller is right. about $18 at my local new/used motorcycle parts place, Bent Bike. Its nothing more than big 22mm 1.5 bolt with a square flat end. a nice bolt would probably work too, if that can be found.

I bought a 8mm 1.25 50mm bolt to use as a TDC locking bolt. BUT, the hex headed bolt head runs into the case before the pointy end solidly locks the crankshaft. There's slot cut into the crank for the bolt to squish into, when i can't turn the bolt anymore I still get some wiggle on the crank. tomorrow I'll get an allen head that will be smaller in diameter.

And I can try and locate some Loctite 648 http://www.henkelna.com/adhesives/pr...UID=0000000HWR
It's used on the tapered end of the crankshaft and the big screw threads. that's why heat is needed to break things apart. The stator screws use blue loctite. the cover screws don't use any, but they have a weird torque pattern, not what I'd guess, maybe that's why mine leaked.

More pictures when some real progress falls on my head. bobo