View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #43
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Atyrau to Astrakhan

We got away from Hotel Green by about 9 am. The road to the border crossing was not too bad but there were a few sections that could catch you out....potholes, just for a change

The road runs about 2kms or so from the shores of the Caspian sea at one point and we found a track. Starts as gravel then goes to soft sand and then soft, wet mud. I hate soft sand with a passion, mostly because I can´t get the hang of riding it and this track was narrow so not ideal to get speed up safely.

But, we (I mean I as Nick was OK) got there and got out boots wet, very briefly. The bikes wouldn't stand for long on their own without the side stand sinking. btw, in my own defense, I had road sprockets on so was not geared for this sort of riding.

Anyway, we did what we wanted and got back to the road with only 1 more off......me of course!

The border was smooth and the fastest crossing yet. Its worth noting that on the Russian side, its a long way (5kms) between the initial Russian checkpoint and passport control. We stopped several times to discuss whether we had somehow missed it. We hadn't.

After the border, it was a short run to Astrakhan....but through the small town of Krasnyy Yar and a pontoon bridge. It was under repair at the time and very slippy.

We arrived at the Victoria Palace Hotel around 4pm and said our goodbye´s. I was looking forward to a good look around the city tomorrow, A shower, food and beer is all I needed just then.

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 06:01 AM
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote