Thread: rally bike
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trally View Post
I've been thinking about turning a modernish mx or enduro 2 stroke in to an adventure bike. I was originally going to use a klr 650 or even my Buell Ulysses as a starting point but I want something lighter and more capable off road. I've been looking at using a yz 250 or a ktm 380 exc. Thing is I'm not really familiar with any of the bikes in the mx/enduro category and I want to know any other particular bikes that would suitable. I also have a few questions about 2 stroke dirtbikes in general.
I've got a few requirements

Reliable
cheap and readily available
under 230 lbs

It would be nice if it was street legal, had a wider ratio gear box and tuned for bottom end or midrange power but I'm pretty comfortable making those modifications if they are possible.

What kind of fuel mileage can I expect to get out of a 250 or a 380 2 stroke ridden moderately? Ive been thinking of using full rally style tanks with 8 or 9 gallons of capacity and I want to be able to get at least 250 miles to a tank.

Speaking of fuel, can 2 strokes be detuned with just ignition timing to accept low octane fuel?
Do you have any idea what it would take to make a yz 250 street legal? There's no electrical system and no battery - you'd have to do some serious wiring and modification work to get a head light, tail light, and brake light - which is probably the bare minimum depending on your state.

Also, if you're state has any emissions requirements, they aren't going to let you drive a 2 stroke on the road. I'm not familiar with AZ, but those are the thing you'll want to look into before buying a bike and finding out you can't license it.

gravityisnotmyfriend screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 10:17 AM Reason: added n't to are
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote