View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Tell us about your bike's set up.
So the set up is pretty basic, as might be expected on a KLR. I've got some goodies though.

Right now I'm running a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket I just picked up in Hamilton, what a difference! I don't miss the 15, but I kept it for once I find myself in latin america playing chicken with transport trucks along winding mountain roads.

The tank is an IMS 6.6 gal, the doo has been done, T-mod is done, and I added barkbuster guards since I'm so tired of snapped levers. I also have a spare clutch cable/lever just in case. I'm running Heidenau k60s and I'll have a Shinko 244 waiting for me at the border for any fun roads I decide to explore in Mexico. Mandatory bash plate, too.

Luggagewise I'm using the SW motech evo racks and H&B aluminum panniers mounted with HT pucks (the stock H&B mounting points are a joke, snapped off first time I lowsided). I've also got a backpack lashed to the back with the remnants of an old Heidenau inner tube and a Wolfman explorer tank bag.

Everything else is stock, though I was burning a hell of a lot of oil before getting the 17 tooth sprocket. Might have to do a 688 upgrade before entering the Heart of Darkness, just seeing how this ride through the states goes first... it's not a cheap upgrade, and the sooner I run out of money the sooner I have to figure out how to get home. Or something.

El Explorador screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 08:17 PM
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote