View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #15
jconly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
I don't see a problem with your charging system.

At idle, the bikes stator (and your AC test confirm it's working fine) is not putting out a lot of power. Also, the fan and lights use a lot of power. So seeing 12.7 at idle with the fan on would not worry me. I am guessing you just started the bike and let it idle to warm up. In this case, it's had very little time to bring up the battery to a fuel charge. If you road the bike around for 10 minutes, then you would see a higher voltage and the fan turning on would make less of an impact.
I wish this was the case, but unfortunately, with the fan on I see 12.7 while riding too. Interstate speeds none the less, and this isn't just after turning the bike on and letting it come to idle. This is after a few hours of riding too.

Quote:
And as long as the charging system gets into the mid 13V at cruising speed, then I would also not worry. 14V is nice, but can overcharge a battery if it stays at that voltage for too long. But AGM batteries like a higher voltage.
Something I neglected to mention, over the course of my trip my 5K cruising voltage seemed to drop. It went from that comfortable 13.4, down to only 13V.. As I got very close to my destination, my ABS warning light came on showing it was no longer active. This happened a few times, each time I stopped... turned the bike off to let the system reset and restarted. Seems to me that the ECU was starting to shut things off from too low of power.

Quote:
I have a volt meter on my 950 and the voltage has always been all over the place, but it's in the 13V range when cruising and that is all that really matters. I got 6 years out of the stock battery. But I do keep it on a trickle charger when I leave it parked for more then a week.
Thanks, this is incredibly helpful to hear! That's one thing I have not gotten any feedback on, is a frame of reference for a standard. When cruising though, it it moving around, because mine will not jump, it simply decreases voltage as RPM's increase. There is a definite correlation between the two. And it seems backwards to me.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote