View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Part Two- 35 miles of dirt track up and over Santiago Peak ( marked from point B to point A).

One of several creeks that cross the Main Divide Trail,

The Main Divide winding through the treeline around mile 4.

Heading into the forest making way toward the top of Mt. Santiago Peak.

Overlooking Black Star Canyon nearing the top with Irvine and Orange County in view.

A rare find within the near reaches of the City of Angels... A tree formed canopy 10 miles up the Main Divide Trail.

A spectacular view out over the Pacific Ocean from the top of Mt. Santiago Peak, with Santa Catalina and San Clemente Islands in the background.

Ridgeline view facing east overlooking lake Mathews.

Main Divide trail's southerly view along the next 22 mile ridgeline leading to the Ortega Highway crossing.

Nearing Ortega Highway with an eastern view of Lake Elsinore

The Ortega Highway is considered one of the premiere sportbike canyon rides in California. It's pure coincidence that it's also at the trail crossing for the North and South Main Divide trail, also equally superb for a large dual sport bike. And to make the situation more stellar, there's a great cycle cafe within a mile of the trail crossing called Hells Kitchen.

After a nice chicken sandwich and a cold beverage at Hells Kitchen, head back to the crossing and then continue onto South Main Divide toward Wildomar Wilderness Area.

Wildomar OHV area is a small remote day use area with an adjacent overnight campground. This area is almost always desolate. One of the best kept secrets in California.

Continue ahead for more on this ride report...

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 12:54 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote