Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #95
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Sunday 8/12/12 ride from Tucson to Chiricahua National Monument, AZ

Howdy Folks -

Ride Name: Chiricahua National Monument loop
Date: August 12, 2012
Meeting time: ?? depends on interest. 0730 is the latest we should be riding eastbound.
Meeting location:?? depends on interest and where folks live. I think the waffle house at Grant & I10 for the folks on the west side, and maybe highway 83 & I10 for the east side folks.
Estimated Length of Ride: 350-400 miles, all day long :). Weather permitting, we may be altering the route to stay dry, or put us back on pavement/interstate before sundown.
Difficulty: meh, I'm on a 600 pound bike that I've owned for 2 weeks, and will have a passenger. I generally ride a swift pace and get into some fun places. Nothing too technical, but the pace could be swift.
Notes: bring food and ample water. We typically do cliff bars/granola for lunch, and grab a quick meal from some place in the mid-late afternoon. Not many places for food along the way, but we always find something! And, I typically fail to budget much time for food.

The girlfriend and I are planning to do some adventuring tomorrow. Still breaking in the new BMW GSA, and having a lot of fun doing it! I haven't been out to the Chiricahua National Monument since the fires last year.

The ride will take us to tombstone, then head up and over the Dragoons via MiddleMarch road (dirt). I've done this in the M1009 a few times, fun road. Lots of history about Cochise here. Also stumbled upon a few abandoned mines.

There we jet over to the Chiricahua National Monument, AZ and head over to Portal on the dirt again. I want to go scope out some of my favorite camsites out there and see what the fire damage did to them. The mountain range is totally gorgeous (or from my memories that were made pre-burn were!), and lots of fun little spurs to investigate and get lost in. We also enjoy walking and rambling around Portal, the quaint bird-frenzy town on the east side of the range. The SW desert research station is out there as well, along with South Fork, a gorgeous canyon just west of Portal.

She has been out to rucker canyon on a 'girls' weekend, and I have been eyeing this on Google Earth for ages. I would also like to hit up tex and rucker canyon for some enjoyable riding and scouting for camping/getaways in the future.

We are very easy going and casual folks, just love to be on two wheels seeing nature's beauty. Not sure where lunch will be, reference the 'notes' section ahead. We generally just snack throughout the day and grab a quickie between 1500-1700.

Yes, this is a rather adventurous day. Yes, the route is susceptible to change depending on timing and weather. Yes, you are more than welcome to peel off at any time, don't feel committed for a full day of craziness; the trip to MiddleMarch road could be a sufficient for some folks' riding needs.

If you're looking for some fun, tag along! Uuhhh - first ride posting so - I'm no master coordinator or acclaimed trip organizer. Bring a bike that's in working condition and is capable of a bit more than interstate speeds (we do unfortunately have some tarmac to cover). Not sure what else to mention.

We generally ride a bit quick, sometimes for long periods of time, will stop for bird sightings and great landscape photo opportunities. We plan to see a lot!

If you're interested, post public replies than we can settle on specific meet times for the locations if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

SpeedySteve screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 12:05 PM
SpeedySteve is offline   Reply With Quote