View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #68
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmurty View Post
I sat in stunned silence with tears welling in my eyes as I read this, thank you for the RR.

I sat there thinking of my Father now deceased who served in the Second world war and other places, My uncle who served in the S.O.E. now deceased, my brother who served in Northern Ireland and myself a Falkland vet. None of use never spoke about what we did,

As a child I could never understand why my father would not talk of where he had been, and after serving I knew why and I also knew it did'nt matter, but I also knew we simply did not have the worlds to express what we wanted or needed to.

You Sir have done that, simply and with eloquence that none of my family or I could ever muster, for that I am eternally grateful

Thank you

cheers Spud
My snappiest salute to you, Spud. When I reconnected with these fine people, I wrote an essay, of sorts, to my daughters about the unfolding events but also about what I learned from those exceptional men and women in Vietnam. I wrote about only about the good things I saw and learned. I felt like my daughters' children might like to know what the old man did a long time ago. The effort also made me more appreciative of those soldiers who went before.

One of these days, Spud, when you're ready, you may consider something similar.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote