Well with time on my hands and between watching the home team do well in the Olympics, I stripped the stone-chipped engine protection bars before giving them a squirt of paint;
Being not too happy with the finish on the fork brace, I gave that another squirt (after suitable rubbing down etc) of some spare BMW Cosmos Black metallic I happened to have kicking around;
I even gave the water pump and timing chain covers another scrub, this time buffing it up with a coat of polish. They really could do with a re-spray but that can wait for some time in the future;
The re-sprayed fairing panels were collected this morning and I got them home without doing any damage;
Among a collection of odd washers I found some strange, slightly domed and cushioned with dense foam on the rear. I thought that these would be ideal for the upper fixings to stop the chaffing of the plastic that has occurred over the years.
I've no idea what they were intended for but whatever it was I obviously never fitted them.
With the belly-pan reassembled and the fixings jiggled back to where the best clearance is to be found, I added a couple of strips of helicopter tape to the leading edge to provide some protection from stone chips.
So then it was out to give it a shake down;
The new rear suspension needs some more miles before I start fiddling with the settings but even set at the softest to bed in, it feels so much better than the original tired BMW unit.
The new clutch is working fine, I just need to make a final adjustment to the actuating arm and cable. It's really nice and light now that everything has been cleaned and lubed.
Time to get out and enjoy it.
It has scrubbed up well for a Turd coloured old nail purchased unseen via ebay. The bike and all the work owes me less than £2,200.